Working boats of the UK Waterways

Site Pages

Home
BCN Carriers
T & S Element
BCN Photos
Samuel Barlow
Barlows Photos
B.W.B
Photos of BW boats
Cadbury
Thos Claytons
FMC Motors
FMC Butties
FMC photos
GUCC Motors
GUCC Butties
GUCC A-H
GUCC I-Z
Willow Wren
Willow Wren Photos
Severn and Canal
Midlands & Coast
LMS Fleet
T & M Fleets
Other Fleets
Other Photos
Boat People
Early Leisure Boating
Links


Severn and Canal Carrying co.

Incorporated in 1873 from the remains of various companies trading on the River Severn and adjacent canals, originally managed by Joshua Fellows and Joseph Danks

both quite well known carriers in their own rights. When the system was nationalised the S&CCco took advantage of the offer and sold out to the D&IWE in 1948.

For a full history of the company see Narrowboat magazine.

Name / Fleet No. / Built by /Date /Registration /Date / B.C.N Gauging / date / Other information

BRISTOL 19 S 03/1900 GLR 359 02/03/1900 17264 18/06/1900  
GLOUCESTER 10 S 02/01 GLR 364 15/02/1901 17699 03/05/1901  
CARDIFF 13 S 09/01 GLR 370 05/09/1901 18096 05/03/1902  
ASTON 5 S 07/02 GLR 377 04/07/1902 18349 29/10/1902  
ANTWERP 16 Z 09/02 GLR 195 12/09/1902 19073 25/02/1904  
NEPEAN 20 Z 09/02 GLR 263 13/02/1903 19394 27/08/1904  
ROTTERDAM 47 Z 09/02 GLR 175 13/02/1903 19716 18/04/1905  
WARRAGAMBO 15 Z 09/02 GLR 239 02/01/1903 19094 02/03/1904  
AVON 39 S 12/03 GLR 388 04/12/1903 19156 23/03/1904  
BROMSGROVE 35 S 04/04 GLR 392 22/04/1904 19325 02/07/1904  
LINCOMBE 64 S 04/04 GLR 393 22/04/1904 19389 25/08/1904  
CAMP 65 S 10/04 GLR 396 07/10/1904 19571 03/01/1905  
STROUD 4 S 11/04 GLR 398 18/11/1904 19578 05/01/1905  
HAWFORD 44 S 02/05 GLR 399 10/02/1905 19715 18/04/1905  
FRAMPTON 29 J 02/05 GLR 400 24/02/1905 19798 30/06/1905  
MENDIP 67 L 02/05 GLR 401 24/02/1905 19819 25/07/1905  
COTSWOLD 66 L 02/05 GLR 402 24/02/1905 19792 29/06/1905  
DROITWICH 68 S 02/06 GLR 412 23/02/1906 20036 01/05/1906  
HEMPSTEAD 37 S 11/06 GLR 421 16/11/1906 20179 14/03/1907  
BATH 11 S 09/07 GLR 429 20/09/1907 20440 05/12/1907  
DUBLIN 2 S 02/08 GLR 430 21/02/1908 20537 14/03/1908  
OLDBURY 9 S 09/08 GLR 434 18/09/1908 20722 15/10/1908  
BERKELEY 8 S 12/08 GLR 436 11/12/1908 20818 09/02/1909  
LENCHFORD 47 S 04/09 GLR 437 16/04/1909 20897 08/06/1909  
RHYDD 69 S 11/09 GLR 441 26/11/1909 20999 09/12/1909  
HAMPSTALL 6 S 03/10 GLR 442 18/03/1910 21067 24/05/1910  
PURTON 70 J 03/10 GLR 443 18/03/1910 21059 10/05/1910  
INDUSTRY 60 Q 05/10 GLR 432 27/05/1910 20749 02/11/1908 registered by prev owner
DUDLEY 15 S 07/10 GLR 445 08/07/1910 21134 09/08/1910  
STOKE 20 T 10/10 GLR 448 14/10/1910 21188 16/11/1910  
DEE 16 S 10/10 GLR 449 27/10/1910 21179 05/11/1910  
COMPTON 1 S 12/10 GLR 450 06/01/1911 21294 19/05/1911  
SHARPNESS 24 J 12/10 GLR 451 03/02/1911 21295 22/05/1911  
HEREFORD 23 S 05/11 GLR 454 12/05/1911 21388 12/10/1911  
CORK 30 J 09/11 GLR 458 29/09/1911 21453 27/02/1912 converted to motor 1935
SWINDON 25 S 12/11 GLR 460 02/02/1912 21474 16/03/1912  
SMETHWICK 51 G 02/12 GLR 463 02/02/1912 21454 27/02/1912  
KEMPSEY 58 S 03/12 GLR 464 15/03/1912 21522 25/05/1912  
HARDWICK 59 J 04/12 GLR 466 26/04/1912 21581 03/08/1912  
STRATFORD 57 G 05/12 GLR 468 10/05/1912 21570 23/07/1912  
HADZOR 62 T 05/12 GLR 469 24/05/1912 21579 30/07/1912  
HOPWOOD 32 T 09/12 GLR 471 13/09/1912 21639 08/10/1912  
WOLVERLEY 71 S 10/12 GLR 473 25/10/1912 21688 02/01/1913  
PENKRIDGE 73 G 03/1913 GLR 474 14/03/1913 21881 25/09/1913  
NEPEAN 74 F 03/1913 GLR 475 14/03/1913 21808 21/06/1913 replaced earlier boat of same name
ALDERSLEY 72 S 04/1913 GLR 477 11/04/1913 21871 11/09/1913 became known as MOTOR NUMBER 8 in 1929 and remained as such until 1948. She has oak sides, an elm bottom and a pine superstructure and is doubled planked, fastened with iron nails. She has a pointed bow and a counter stern. Her current engine was made by National Oil & Gas in 1934 and is model 20M, with two cylinders, rated at 18 horsepower.
TETTENHALL 76 P 05/1913 GLR 479 08/05/1913 21885 06/10/1913  
NIMROD 77 F 06/1913 GLR 482 20/06/1913 21879 23/09/1913  
WULFRUNA 75 P 06/1913 GLR 483 20/06/1913 22014 25/02/1914  
WIGHTWICK 56 S 12/1913 GLR 486 15/12/1913 22068 21/04/1914  
NERO 61 F 01/1914 GLR 487 16/01/1914 22168 29/08/1914  
INDIA 78 C 07/1914 GLR 416 03/07/1914 20300 19/08/1907 registered by previous owner
AUSTRALIA 79 C 07/1914 GLR 418 09/10/1914 20142 30/01/1907 registered by previous owner
LYDNEY 80 J 06/1914 GLR 489 19/06/1914 22164 25/08/1914  
BELFAST 81 G 07/1914 GLR 490 17/07/1914 22169 29/08/1914  
WALSALL 21 P 07/1915 GLR 493 16/07/1915 22499 16/05/1916  
HYDE 3 P 10/1915 GLR 494 08/10/1915 22421 22/12/1915  
WORCESTER 7 F 07/1922 GLR 501 07/07/1922 370 12/08/1922 there seems to have been a dearth of boatbuilding during WW1
STOURPORT 14 B 11/1922 GLR 502 17/11/1922 603 27/02/1923  
DIGLIS 18 F 05/1923 GLR 504 18/05/1923 772 06/12/1923  
BILSTON 26 A 09/1923 GLR 506 21/09/1923 787 01/01/1924  
SALTLEY 22 B 10/1924 GLR 508 17/10/1924 991 02/01/1925  
WILDEN 28 S 11/1924 GLR 509 14/11/1924 987 30/12/1924  
HANBURY 27 F 12/1924 GLR 510 02/01/1925 983 23/12/1924 1942 (previously named HANBURY) ex S&CCCo. Frances (possibly named after Charlies wife Fanny) was re-named and re-registered by Charles Ballinger jnr on 29/07/1942 at Stoke Prior. Initially registered on 23/12/1924 as HANBURY by S&CCCo in Gloucester. Frances appears photographed in LTC Rolts Worcestershire (1947) carrying coal for the Severn with side cloths up to go on the river.
FAZELEY 31 B 03/1925 GLR 511 20/03/1925 1048 05/05/1925  
CANNOCK 33 B 09/1925 GLR 513 18/09/1925 1141 23/02/1926  
DORIS   R 04/1927 GLR 406 16/06/1905 19898 21/11/1905 *
LOUIE   R 04/1927 GLR 465 15/03/1912 21641 09/10/1912 *
POLLIE   R 04/1927 GLR 390 12/02/1904     *
POPPY   R 04/1927 GLR 488 27/02/1924 22086 19/05/1915 *
RAYMOND   R 04/1927 GLR 452 03/02/1911 21265 28/03/1911 *
SAMUEL   R 04/1927 GLR 462 05/01/1912 21440 23/01/1912 *
SUSAN   R 04/1927 GLR 438 14/05/1909 20882 18/05/1909 *
NO 1 (m)   D 11/1927 GLR 515 18/11/1927 1365 04/01/1928  
NO 2 (m)   D 04/1928 STK 900 25/04/1928 1387 20/04/1928  
BOURNVILLE   X 05/1928 BHM 1503 04/05/1928 953 28/10/1924 was BOURNVILLE 15 ex Cadburys
NO 3 (m)   X 05/1928 BHM 1505 04/05/1928 22340 03/07/1915 was BOURNVILLE 1 ex Cadburys
BLACKPOLE   X 05/1928 BHM 1506 18/05/1928 955 29/10/1924 was BOURNVILLE 16 ex Cadburys
NO 4 (m)   X 05/1928 BHM 1504 04/05/1928 22578 05/10/1916 was BOURNVILLE 2 ex Cadburys
NO 5 (m)   X 06/1929 BHM 1523 30/08/1929 22425 28/12/1915 was BOURNVILLE 4
NO 6 (m)   X 06/1929 BHM 1521 28/06/1929     possibly BOURNVILLE 11
NO 7 (m)   E 07/1929 GLR 517 06/07/1929 1516 07/08/1929  
NO 8 (m)   E 11/1929 GLR 518 20/11/1929 1531 12/11/1929 built by the Severn & Canal Carrying Company Ltd. at Stourport in 1913. Her British Waterways number is 77328 and she was registered at Gloucester as number 518 in 1929. In 1912, she was re-registered as number 483, which was changed again to number 22 at Oldbury in 1948.

She was originally named ALDERSLEY, but became known as MOTOR NUMBER 8 in 1929 and remained as such until 1948. She has oak sides, an elm bottom and a pine superstructure and is doubled planked, fastened with iron nails. She has a pointed bow and a counter stern. Her current engine was made by National Oil & Gas in 1934 and is model 20M, with two cylinders, rated at 18 horsepower. Sold to Thos Clayton in 1948 to become their DOVE.

 
NO 5 (m)   E 07/1931 GLR 519 12/07/1931 1686 01/08/1931 replaced ex Cadburys motor
NO 3 (m)   E 06/1932 GLR 521 17/06/1932 1726 29/06/1932 as above
NO 6 (m)   E 10/1932 GLR 522 16/12/1932 1771 18/08/1933 as above
NO 4 (m)   E 11/1933 GLR 524 17/11/1933 2075 29/09/1939 as above. broken up in a lock 9/90, as seen in WW.
SWAN (m)   E 07/1934 GLR 525 18/09/1934 1943 12/02/1937  
ASH (m)   H 08/1934 GLR 526 18/09/1934 1822 17/09/1934 Unconverted and completely uncabined except for the rear bulkhead, was rebottomed at Norton Canes a few years ago. Photo
OAK (m)   H 08/1934 GLR 527 18/09/1934 1829 15/10/1934

Oak incorporates a number of innovations.   She was one of eight boats, all named after a species of tree, built to a design of the Severn and Canal Carrying Company’s traffic department.  The boats had plating, knees and other metalwork, in Noah Hingley’s Netherton-iron, known at the time for its special non-corrosive qualities.  A loaded draft of 3 ft 9 ins. on the otherwise normal narrow boat dimensions gave Oak a massive carrying capacity of 33 tons, providing the company with a very economical operating unit. The engine is at the stern instead of being in front of the cabin.  As this means there is no propeller shaft underneath the cabin, the floor is lower than usual, giving more headroom for the crew.  The unusual escape hatch in the cabin roof was provided in case of a fire in the engine room when the cargo hold was full.  The cowl ventilators on the cabin are believed to derive from the builder’s familiarity with larger ships.  The stove pipe, engine exhaust and opening port lights also derive from seagoing vessels. More technical, but hidden innovations were water ballast tanks under the cabin floor to assist with empty or light working.  In place of the ten usual upright fuel tanks, the service tanks were situated under the engine room floor, with the main diesel tank built into the counter stern. Despite these innovations, she was not popular with her crew.  The cabin in front of the engine room was difficult to get in and out of and the engine was unsatisfactory.  Although designed to work as a ‘single motor’ unit, the 10 horsepower engine was not powerful enough to push the loaded boats up and down the River Severn and, often, a tug would be used to tow her.  Not only that – the steering position was noisy, being almost on top of the engine, and the steerer was very close to the exhaust chimney and separated from the accommodation. The Severn and Canal Carrying Company mainly operated services between the Bristol Channel ports and the Birmingham and Wolverhampton areas, via the Severn and connecting waterways.  In the Gloucester area narrow boats were generally called long boats and, in the boatmen’s terms, S&CCC’s deeper than usual narrow boats such as Oak were nicknamed ‘Severners’. Oak spent much of her life carrying cargo between Gloucester and Birmingham; typical loads being sugar and cocoa beans (to Cadbury’s Bourneville factory), timber, wheat, canned goods and metals. In 1948, just prior to the nationalisation of the canals, Oak was sold to the British Transport Commission for £400 and reregistered at Gloucester in 1949. Oak finished her working days as a maintenance boat, initially as a crane barge on the Trent and Mersey Canal, and finally, for the British Waterways fleet in the Northwich area. By 1979, Oak had been abandoned and had sunk in Hayhurst Depot, Northwich.  She must have been raised and sold off as she was seen again, in private ownership, again sunk, under the Clock Warehouse at Shardlow in 1986.  However, by 1988, she had been restored as a National Waterways Museum exhibit by Warwickshire Fly Boat Co., at Stockton.  - as far as possible to the condition when delivered from Bristol, except that the elm bottom planks were replaced by steel plates. Work on the engine has been hampered by the lack of any original spare parts. photo

ELM (m)   H 02/1935 GLR 528 07/02/1935 1945 12/02/1937  
FIR (m)   H 02/1935 GLR 529 07/02/1935 1853 15/05/1935 All steel motorboat built by Hills in 1935. Hired by Ballingers from Harkers in 1949 and bought by C Ballinger jnr in 1950. renamed by Ballingers as BRIDGET Skippered by Lionel Tonks during Ballingers ownership. Was cut down to 55ft and then re-lengthened to 64ft by Wyvern Shipping. Sold in 1976 and located in 1996 owned by a Mr Dean and registered as BW# 61839. Picture of FIR (p31 Faulkner) tied up at Gloucester Docks 2nd August 1949 when on hire to Charles Ballinger, he purchased her in the following year. Mainly used to carry for Cadburys from Frampton to Bourneville. Currently moored near Bath on Kennet & Avon.
PINE (m)   H 02/1935 GLR 530 07/02/1935 1861 21/06/1935 Sold by BWB in 1980 / 81. fs unconverted 4/89. Currently based on the SU PINE 
BEECH (m)   H 02/1935 GLR 531 07/02/1935 1872 28/08/1935 Hired by Ballingers from Harkers in 1949 and bought by C Ballinger jnr in 1952 renamed by Ballingers as OLIVE skippered by Jimmy Hunt & Charlie Ballinger jnr. Picture (p45 Faulkner) of Charles Ballinger and his wife with OLIVE on Gloucester and Sharpness Canal on 12 September 1959 carrying chocolate beans from Sharpness to Cadburys at Bourneville. Mainly used as the 'Match' boat and for coal runs on the river Severn for Samuel Moreland & Sons Ltd  the makers of England Glory Matches in Gloucester. Cut to 55ft by Wyvern Shipping at the same time as FIR. Currently moored on Kennet and Avon in Devizes area and owned by Tes Woodward and Adrian Noakes. Photo
ALDER (m)   H 02/1935 GLR 532 18/02/1935 1858 07/06/1935  
WILLOW (m)   H 02/1935 GLR 533 18/02/1935 1857 31/05/1935 She was one of eight narrowboats commissioned by the Severn & Canal Carrying Company and was the first to be made of welded steel. She later became a British Waterways maintenance boat Sold by BWB into private ownership in 1970s and was converted to a private residence twenty years ago. Her original engine room and cabin are intact. based at Langley Mill

WILLOW

CORK (m)   E 08/1935 GLR 458 05/09/1935 21453 27/12/1912  

Index to this page

A

built at Beards yard, Hempstead Bridge

B

built by W.H. Bowater Ltd, Brookfield Wharf, B'ham

C

ex Chadbourn Son & Taylor, Gloucester Docks

D

built by the Anderton Company, Middleport, Stoke on Trent

E

ex Butty boat

F

built by George Farrin, Stoke Prior

G

built by Bakers, Stourport

H

built by Charles Hill & Sons Ltd, Bristol

J

built by Joseph Barnard, Llanthony, Gloucester

K

ex Fellows Morton and Clayton Ltd, B'ham

L

purchased from an owner on the GJC

M

ex Price and Son, Brierley Hill

N

built by Orr Watt & Co. Ltd, Motherwell

O

wooden boat, builders not known.

P

built by J.E.Perry & Sons, Wolverhampton

Q

ex John W. Wheeler, Gloucester

R

ex Jacob Rice & Son, Gloucester Docks

S

built by the Severn & canal carrying Co. Ltd, Stourport

T

built by Edward Tailby, West Bromwich

U

built by Fellows Morton and Clayton Ltd, Uxbridge

W

built by W.H.Walker, Rickmansworth. Later W.H.Walker & Bros Ltd.)

X

ex Cadbury Brothers Ltd, Bournville.

Z

ex Barnes & Chadborn, Gloucester.

 

 

BHM

Birmingham

GLR

Gloucester

BREN

Brentford

STK

Stoke on Trent

 

 

*

registered details relate to previous owner

src for original list - SEVERN & CANAL and CADBURYS -- Alan H Faulkner

 

 

All pictures and information are either the authors or sent in by contributors, they are displayed in good faith.

Other sources are shown at the base of the page.

Send information

All information is © the respective contributor unless otherwise stated.